Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hi, Hello, and How are You Today

.



.
First blog post

I have set up this blog to help promote Historic Irises in New Zealand without the baggage of belonging to a New Zealand Iris Society.
I will be closing my Yahoo NZHISTORICIRIS Site as I consider this to be a better format
I will try and post weekly with interesting stories of Irises growing in great Gardens in New Zealand.
I collect the irises of Jean Stevens of which I grow about 35 different varieties of her introductions plus about 25 Irises that have yet to have their ID confirmed but I consider to be from the JS breeding lines.For more information on Jean go to Dictionary of New Zealand
I Consider Jean as New Zealand's premier International Hybridiser but not so much is known about her within New Zealand yet she is still highly regarded overseas.
Historic Tall Bearded Irises grow well in all parts of New Zealand and are well worth growing.



*****

4 comments:

  1. Hello, saw that you had joined blogger, I am a fairly new blogger too, so thought I would pop by and say hello.

    Claire Austin has also written another book, which is full of beautiful photos, and her plant catalogue is a must read too - http://www.claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk/

    I am going to Chelsea Flower Show next month and one of the highlights for me is seeing the Iris on display in the Pavilion. There is a suberb breeder from France who displays too, but his name escapes me.

    Look forward to reading more from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting. I visited Jean's web site (thank you for the link). This seems like an extensive undertaking. I look forward to read more and hope to see more of the beautiful photos if available. Here in central Kentucky, USA, I have several tall bearded, but we have a lot of thunderstorms with wind. Too many tall ones to stake, so they blow over. I am adding more of the Standard Dwarf Bearded and miniatures. Enjoyed my visit. I found you on Blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irises are so beautiful. I look forward to following your journey through the gardens. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word Terry, looks fine!

    Is that 'Romance' in the top photo? or am I confusing her with another old iris?

    I've bookmarked your blog and look forward to the future!

    Gesine

    ReplyDelete

DMCA.com

©2008 - 2016 HERITAGE IRISES. All rights reserved. Unauthorized copying or storage of this website's content is prohibited without prior written permission. Terry Johnson in association with The Iris Hunter,What Have You Productions and 15 out of 7 Design.